Steven Nickolas is a freelance writer and also has 10+ years of experience working together a consultant to retail and institutional investors.

You are watching: If a stock portfolio is well diversified, then the portfolio variance:


*

Portfolio variance is a measure up of the dispersion of return of a portfolio. The is the aggregate of the actual returns of a offered portfolio end a set duration of time.


Portfolio variance is calculated utilizing the traditional deviation the each protection in the portfolio and the correlation between securities in the portfolio.


Modern portfolio concept (MPT) states that investment portfolio variance can be lessened by selecting securities v low or negative correlations in which come invest, such as stocks and bonds.


Calculating the investment portfolio Variance the Securities

To calculation the investment portfolio variance the securities in a portfolio, multiply the squared load of each defense by the equivalent variance of the protection and include two multiply by the weighted typical of the securities multiply by the covariance between the securities.


Portfolio variance is basically a measurement of risk.The formula help to determine if the portfolio has actually an appropriate level the risk.Modern investment portfolio theory states that investment portfolio variance have the right to be lessened by selecting a mix that assets through low or an unfavorable correlations.

To calculation the variance that a portfolio v two assets, multiply the square the the weighting that the first asset by the variance of the asset and include it come the square that the weight of the second asset multiply by the variance the the second asset. Next, include the resulting value to two multiplied through the weights that the first and second assets multiplied by the covariance that the two assets.


Sample calculate

For example, i think you have a portfolio containing two assets, share in firm A and stock in company B. If 60% of your portfolio is invested in firm A, the remaining 40% is invested in agency B. The yearly variance of firm A"s share is 20%, when the variance of agency B"s share is 30%.


The wise investor looks for an reliable frontier. That"s the shortest level of hazard at which a target return can be achieved.


The correlation in between the 2 assets is 2.04. To calculation the covariance of the assets, main point the square root of the variance of agency A"s share by the square root of the variance of agency B"s stock. The result covariance is 0.50.


The resulting portfolio variance is 0.36, or ((0.6)^2 * (0.2) + (0.4)^2 * (0.3) + (2 * 0.6 * 0.4 * 0.5)).


portfolio Variance and modern-day Portfolio concept

Modern portfolio concept is a structure for creating an invest portfolio. MPT takes together its main premise the idea that rational investors desire to maximize return while minimizing risk, sometimes measured using volatility.


Therefore, investors look for what is called an effective frontier, or the shortest level of risk and also volatility at which a target return deserve to be achieved.


Measuring hazard

Following MPT, risk can be lowered in a portfolio by investing in non-correlated assets. That is, an invest that can be taken into consideration risky ~ above its own deserve to actually lower the all at once risk that a portfolio since it often tends to rise as soon as other investments fall.


This diminished correlation have the right to reduce the variance the a theoretical portfolio. In this sense, an separation, personal, instance investment"s return is less essential than its in its entirety contribution come the portfolio in terms of risk, return, and also diversification.


The level of hazard in a portfolio is regularly measured using traditional deviation, i beg your pardon is calculated as the square source of the variance. If data points are much away native the mean, the variance is high and the as whole level of threat in the portfolio is high together well.

See more: Manufacturing Overhead Is Underallocated If The Amount, Manufacturing Overhead Is Underallocated If The


Standard deviation is a vital measure that risk provided by investment portfolio managers, financial advisors, and institutional investors. Asset supervisors routinely encompass standard deviation in your performance reports.